Simple Machines Forum
Simple Machines Forum is a free forum application. Simple Machines Forum forked from YaBBSE in 2003.
Simple Machines Forum (SMF) is a next-generation community software package that is jam-packed with features, while at the same time having a minimal impact on resources.
- Advanced permission and user management.
- Tracking of new and old unread topics, not just from your last visit.
- Package manager that automatically installs or uninstalls mods (also known as hacks.)
- Major actions are time and IP locked, preventing 'hammering'.
- Create child boards under other boards. (sub boards)
- Configure permissions for each membergroup on the board level.
- Both cookie and session based authentication (works without cookies.)
- Ability to choose sendmail or SMTP (with or without authentication.)
- Assign several membergroups to a single member, with one membergroup as the primary group.
- Support of wildcards for email address, IP address, and hostname.
- Include an expiration time for bans.
- Export forum data using XML/RSS.
- Support for WAP, WAP2 and I-mode protocols.
- Members can choose which smiley set they wish to use (or none.)
- Spell Check, Quick Reply, WYSIWYG, 'Insert Quote', and other editing features.
- Polls can be added or removed to existing topics.
- Attachment filenames can be encrypted to increase the security (so you can upload .php files, etc.)
- Ability to allow members to use moderation on just topics they posted.
- Ability to Merge/Split topics.
- Recycle bin/board for all deleted topics and posts.
- Options to hide other members' avatars and signatures.
- Advanced user resources, including the ability to show new replies to your posts.