MediaWiki is an open source wiki application. MediaWiki was initially released in 2002 after being developed to power Wikipedia.
MediaWiki is a feature-rich wiki implementation, and is used to power Wikipedia and many other wikis.
- Look and feel: MediaWiki's user interface is customizable through the use of skins.
- Keeping track of edits: With MediaWiki, it's easy to revert an entry to a previous state. MediaWiki keeps track of all edits.
- Structures and syntax: A full set of commands are supported which enable elements such as sortable tables to be embedded into entries.
- Spam and vandalism: Prevent link spamming, and other forms of abusive editing.
- Discussions: Each user (including every anonymous user) and every article has an associated page where messages can be posted.
- Permissions and user groups: Multiple user groups and editing permissions for each are supported.
- Search: Full search capabilities and numerous special report pages are available.
- Multimedia and extensions: Multimedia files can be uploaded and attached to wiki entries.